sabato 11 aprile 2015

Deliberate carelessness and disorganization in Bratislava (2)

I myself have been an active members of the Couch Surfing community since 2006. I have hosted and been hosted, showed people around, given tips on what to see and why, organized and participated in Couch Surfing meeting in Poland, Italy and Bulgaria. When I arrived in Bratislava I thought: 'let's join the local CS community, it's going to be fun for sure!' Well, after a couple of months since I first arrived here in January, I decided to join the CS meeting held on a brand new restaurant-pub right on the Danube river. On the facebook page of the event it was written that Miro, the organizer, had reserved 30 seats in the pub for the event, that started at 7pm. I arrived at around 8pm. No CS signs, no flags, no large groups of people, apart from a family reunion, nothing. I asked the waiters in English, but they had no idea. Someone reserved 30 seats (not 3, 30!!!!) and no one seemed to knwo about that. I tried to call Miro's number, but the phone was off. Miro told me then that I had another Miro's number, this is why I couldn't reach him. I decided to give CS Bratislava a second chance, but I cannot help to remind here how things should be done if you CARE and if you really arrange these events to meet new people and make friends. In Sofia they put a COUCH SURFING flag on a table, so it was clear who and what to search for once entered the pub. In Bari we do things this way: Simone, the ambassador and main organizer of the monthly Couch Surfer meetings in Bari (Italy) looks for and books a venue, big enough to host at least 100 people. Then he sends out the invitation on CS and on facebook. The invitations always contains a detailed map of the location and, at least, one contact number. Then, he sets himself on the door of the pub and personally welcomes all newcomers with a smile and a handshake. It's not difficult, he does things this way because he likes it and it definitely pays off. Oh, and the participants pay only for their drinks, nothing else! Again, I do not understand why those who feel like organizing group events finalized to share, know new people and make new friends are so careless and superficial. That's not fair and does not give a good image of what they represent, being it a travellers or language lovers community.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento