sabato 11 aprile 2015

Deliberate carelessness and disorganization in Bratislava (1)

I really don't understand why here in Bratislava 1) I haven't see a single event properly organized 2) once they manage to arrange an event whatsoever, the participants have to pay a fee! Point 1: if I plan to have dinner with my friends at my place I check how many people I can accommodate (how many chairs, plates, forks, knives and glasses I have), I decide what to cook according to my friends' preferences, I invite them and I explain how to get to my place, I give a correct address and my phone number in case they get lost. Then I prepare everything to make the dinner and the evening as much pleasant as possible for me and for my guests. I don't ask my friends to pay, but they can bring some drinks if they feel like. This is what I do at home. If I organize any kind of event and I invite my friends to participate (and to bring their friends too)I also give them clear and accurate directions about how to reach the venue and my contact number. Now I'm going to tell about every single time I've found impossible to participate to an event here in Bratislava, due to a lack of the principle listed above (clear, accurate directions + contact numbers). 1) SLEM, ie SLOVAK LANGUAGE MEETING: it is held in a place called GINGER CAFE GALLERY, apparently in the city centre, every Tuesday from 7pm on. The problem is that GINGER CAFE's address is ULICA RAJSKA 5, but at that address there's no cafe. There's nothing. The entrance to GINGER is somewhere on the back of the building. If you're 1) a foreigner 2)not from Bratislava 3) not a customer of GINGER CAFE how on earth are you supposed to find it??????????? Moreover, how are you supposed to find it since it is not even written on their facebook page (check it here, if you don't believe me!)????? So my conclusions are: 1) the owner of GINGER CAFE GALLERY has 10 chairs, knows 10 people who keep the CAFE GALLERY busy everyday, so they don't need any new customer and are happy with what they earn 2) those who organize SLEM are perfectly aware that it's not easy to find GINGER CAFE GALLERY, because there's nothing on Rajska 5 but they either don't give a damn or they think that's perfectly normal to look BEHIND Rajska 5 when you're looking for sth located ON Rajska 5 (so, I am the stupid). Now my question is: if I like to organize a meeting on regular basis to practice/learn Slovak as a foreign language, who do I organize it for????? for Slovaks? for Slovaks living in Bratislava who may need to polish their language?????? I thought it was meant to foreigners, expats, who DO NOT SPEAK SLOVAK and probably don't know the city very well either. I am frustrated and angry because from October 2010 to December 2012 I organized and held all sort of language meeting in my hometown, Bari. I ALWAYS printed a map, provided accurate info about bus stops and timetable, I even picked up people from the bus stop sometimes because they didn't know how to reach the venue. I ALWAYS gave my contact number and I sometimes arranged car pooling for those coming from the nearby villages. I connected people. It wasn't difficult and it really paid off. If you care you do it, but if you don't care (or you only apperently show that you do) why do you advertise such events on facebook???? I am really disappointed and frustrated. My next complaint will be about CouchSurfing meetings and an 'artistic' event. Stay tuned! ;) P.S. this is Speakers Corner facebook page, please check the ALBUMS to see how many events I organized and how many people attended them. Unfortunately last Spring Google decided to cancel my Picasa photo albums and my blog, so these are the only pics available now! :(

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento